Mechwarrior Online

No Guts No Galaxy

MechSpecs

Statistics
We have 109 registered users
The newest registered user is elrihar

Our users have posted a total of 1674 messages in 186 subjects

Share | 

A burning question: what is your control setup?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GDL_Warwulf

PostSubject: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 am

Hello people, fairly new here but hoping to bring something to the party.

I've got one question that has been weighing heavily on my mind, what is everyones control preference?
when I used to play this it was with Thrustmaster Throttle and Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. Now I haven't played in years and have become very happy with using Mouse/keyboard combo in every pc game so I'm wondering....

SHOULD i LET MY INNER GEEK FORCE ME TO SPEND RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS OF MONEY ON A STICK/THROTTLE/PEDAL CONTROL SYSTEM?

I know it would bring me much excitement to hook it up and play with it, deep inside I love my toys, but what does everyone else use? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to it? will it be difficult for me to familiarise myself with it?

You're the people I'm going to be supporting/be supported by, I value your opinions, criticisms and comments

Westy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GD26

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:56 am

The inner Geek is for you to control and you only..
I’m a keyboard-mouse addict. It’s just simple (and cheaper) that way. silent

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stormblast

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:23 am

I've got a HOTAS setup that I'm looking forward to playing with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wingit

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 am

I've a HOTAS Cougar, with Simped rudder pedals and Track IR

This setup won't make me a better warrior! But I die in style and comfort. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDLRenoBlade

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm using a Saitek x52
I got it for MW:LL and MW4 aswell (secondary)
Twist of the stick is for the legs and the x + y axis are for the aiming (torso)
the trottle is nice, but i used to use the numpad with my left hand for the legs + weapongroups for loooong time and so still need to adapt to no keyboard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stormblast

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Nice, Reno. I might work in a few extra macros on the ol' speedpad if that become necessary too. And if track IR is included you can bet I'll get me one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDL_Warwulf

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:33 am

I think I'm going to fuel my inner geek and go for the HOTAS setup, if nothing else it will give me a cheap thrill lol, whether I use it competitively will depend on how quickly I get to grips with it.
The only question now is which ones are going to be supported and how much I will spend. I think I'm going to wait out on supported controls to be released before I decide which to buy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 am

<S> All I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro hopefuly it will match up well with MWO , guess I'll find out at launch.

GDL Whiskey. (do need to get a head set though.) Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDL_Warwulf

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:16 am

Logitech G330 is a cheap and cheerful headset, very comfortable and decent sound quality. Comes with normal 3.5mm audio jack type connectors for headphone and microphone and a little USB adaptor that you can use as a second sound card.
I don't run it like this usually but you can have the adaptor plugged in, use it just for skype (haven't tried with TeamSpeak yet) in windows 7 by right clicking on your volume control and going to sound. selecting it for communications. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Like I say I don't use it like this personally and don't imagine I will.
Otherwise it just takes over from your soundcard/onboard sound when the USB dongle is plugged in by default, or just connect it to the usual place with the normal connectors.

Hope you find this useful, there maybe better ones out there, but these are small lightweight over-ear headphones and great for transporting if you move around a lot too. Suits me down to the ground.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah_D

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:33 pm

I am using the Saitek AV8R. I rather like it and Corwin asked me to get him the same kind. His arrived today so if we can get it comfigured correctly for him it will be what he will be using Sunday in practice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soulfire

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Mouse and KB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trantor

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Since ancient times (better known as MPBT) I use a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D with Throtlle Control.

Probably the best gaming device MS ever build.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magnificent_Bastard

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:05 am

I'm a stick-jockey. I can't even imagine playing with a mouse and keyboard anymore. I used to play that way years ago but ever since I got my stick I haven't looked back. I'm currently using a Logitech Freedom 2.4 wireless joystick and I love it. Buyer beware however; I've heard mixed reviews about this joystick. Some people claim it doesn't work or broke on them quickly and others claim it has worked wonderfully for years. Fortunately I have experienced the latter. My stick has performed very well for me, better than I'd have thought actually as the battery life is very long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zekester81

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 pm

You guys are all lucky. I am using a Mad Catz 360 controller on MW4. I really want one of those Saitek sticks though. I had one of the cheaper ones but that didn't mean it was too cheaply made. As for the 360 controller. I get a lot more controls using the ingame control config. I also have a setup for xpadder so I can use the triggers as buttons instead of throttle, which is a major downside of the controllers native settings. Using xpadder leaves me without a joystick shift button though and severely limits the amount of functions on the pad. Its a given that a stick and throttle would be way better.

I have this idea of a setup with a dual left and right handed throttle with thumb sticks on each and pedals. No one seems to make a throttle for the right hand though and I do not have the money to try and have one made. I think it would totally change the way I play though.

Edit: I know about the Saitek's downsides, and yes it has them. So do most joysticks. The up side for me is that is the model of joystick that is compatible with my xbox 360 and can use it on there as well. Seriously, try playing MW4 with a 360 game pad sometime, lol, it can get difficult as you still need a lot of the keyboard functions. I try to make sure that the controls on my game pad are for essential combat functions only with the exception of lancemate commands, too many of them for the pad to handle.

Edit 2:After having difficulties playing online with my game pad, I have spent the morning playing with the keyboard and mouse and I have to say WOW, it is soooo much more responsive than the game pad. I still want a HOTAS setup with rudder pedals though.

Last edited by Zekester81 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Zekester81
GDLRenoBlade

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:35 am

i'd like to add, the fire buttons on this saitek x52 are not perfectly placed. there are better sticks with the buttons closer together.
sometimes, i dont want to press this fire button 2 (with the savety lock) because its too high up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Logi

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

then you should put some badass weapon (like a nuke or selfdestruction) on button 2. this is then your LAST weapon and resort Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDL_GunGrave666

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Forever a joystick pilot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A burning question: what is your control setup?   

Back to top Go down

A burning question: what is your control setup?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1